There are two types of iPhone owners in the world. The first are the ones who are perfectly happy with their iPhone and the way it is, elegant, stylish, and classy. Then there are the ones who are not so happy with their iPhone, and desire a little more which Apple doesn’t want to allow. These people are probably the lot who would be interested in iPhone jailbreak. Read on to discover what it exactly is and how it can help you, if you too are an iPhone user.
Introduction to the iPhone jailbreak process
iPhone comes with a lot of features, with a lot of people can’t stop adoring. However, it comes with quite a bit of restrictions as well. This, especially for the tech savvy users, can be a little disappointing. After all, in days when customizing smartphones has went to an altogether new level, having a phone that hardly allows you to change anything significant can be a bit annoying at times. And this is where the process called iPhone jailbreaking comes in.
iPhone jailbreak, in simple terms, is a process to free your iPhone of the restrictions imposed by the manufacturer Apple, as well as accomplish a few other things like the ability to customize your iPhone. Without going into too much of technical stuff, iPhone jailbreak can be defined as a process that helps you tweak or modify the software your iPhone comes with in order to enable you to use it the way you want, and not the way Apple offers.
What exactly is iPhone jailbreak?
Well, the introduction may not have made a lot of sense to you, especially if you’re someone completely new to the process. So let us delve deeper into understanding what jailbreaking a iPhone is all about.
Quite a lot of smartphones nowadays come with a layer of what is called the Digital Rights Management (DRM). It poses quite a few restrictions on the users as well as limits the use of the software you can run on it. It also ensures your device’s safety. However, it imposes quite a few restrictions as well, which restricts one to use their smartphone to the fullest.
So, jailbreaking is a process that helps one bypass these DRM restrictions, in order to allow the user to use their smartphone the way they want. Now, the reason jailbreaking is so common for iPhone devices is due to the fact that smartphones offered by almost all its other competitors hardly comes with such stringent restrictions, and are easily customizable, allowing the users to use it the way they want.
The iPhone, however, has a different story. It puts a lot of restrictions as well as doesn’t allow the user to customize anything, resulting in a huge urge to go for jailbreaking. Jailbreaking would also offer the users root access to their devices, allowing them to do a lot more.
One of the most common reasons iPhone users jailbreak their devices for is being able to use software outside of the iOS, which isn’t allowed on the original software. Furthermore, it allows them to customize their devices fully by installing required apps, which is otherwise not allowed on an iPhone. One can also download and use files downloaded directly from the internet, instead of restricting themselves to only what is offered on the App Store. That isn’t all, you can do a lot of other alterations as well, which, if you’re tech savvy, would only be too impressed to discover.
The jailbreak process
The jailbreak process is a bit lengthy, but not that complicated if you know what you’re doing. The below given is a step by step process of jailbreaking an iPhone, However, it should always be noted that you must be very careful while following it, in order to safeguard yourself against the risk involved.
- Firstly, one is supposed to backup their iOS device before they start with the jailbreak process.
- The next step is to disable the passcode if at all you are using one.
- The next step is to simply enable the Airplane Mode.
- Now comes a bit tricky part. To carry out the jailbreaking, one is supposed to download some jailbreaking tool on their computer, which can be easily found on the internet. However, before you decide to go with a particular tool, make sure you do bit of research about it in order to ensure that it’s actually genuine and working. You’ll need the latest version of the iTunes installed as well. Also note that there are different tools for different iOS versions, and not all the tools may work for all the iOS.
- Open the downloaded tool which will help you with the jailbreak process.
- Now, you can plug in your iOS device and wait for it to be recognized by the tool.
- Once recognized, you’ll find a “Start jailbreak” or some similar option. You’re supposed to click on that.
- Some tools may or may not require you to do anything else. Some may, however, involve a bit more steps. But they usually aren’t anything technical or complicated, so getting through them shouldn’t be a problem.
- After you’re done with all that, you can simply wait for the process to finish. Once finished, your device will reboot. You’ll then find an icon or option named Cydia, which will allow you to prepare the file system. That’s it, you’re done!
Benefits of jailbreaking your iPhone
Now, for some of you who haven’t yet got what the actual benefits of jailbreaking an iPhone are, we’re listing them below:
- Jailbreaking allows you to download apps from sources other than the App Store, including directly from the internet, a huge advantage for those who are quite fond of exploring various interesting and innovative apps outside of the App Store.
- Customizing: Well, sometimes, the restrictions put by Apple seem rather unjust. Even after you’ve paid a hefty price for becoming the owner of an iPhone, you aren’t allowed to give it the look you like. With jailbreak, you’ll be able to do that.
- You’ll no longer be FORCED to use the default iOS apps.
- You’ll actually feel like the owner of your iPhone, as you’ll be able to do a lot more.